How to install Fedora only once ...

Samuel Flory sflory at rackable.com
Mon Dec 8 21:23:13 UTC 2003

Arturo Duran wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to make a decision on what distro. to
> choose for professional use (involving the usual
> stuff:  PDA-sync., External Monitors, Projectors,
> Presentations, Video Conference...).
>
> I have been using RH9 (happily so) since it came out,
> until I reinstalled everything to have FC1, due to an
> extremely troublesome "upgrade", which produced
> crashes every 30 seconds.
>
> After that awful experience, and bearing in mind that
> FC will very likely ship a new version every few
> months, I wonder if I could use
>
> # apt-get dist-upgrade
>
> ALL THE TIME, whenever a new version comes out, much
> in the same way as Debian users do when they want to
> avoid reinstalling every few months.
>
> In other words, do ONE and only one installation of
> Fedora Core 1, and then rely on apt to have the
> installation upgraded whenever updates / new versions
> are released.
>
> Is the portage of apt to FC1 poweful and bug-free
> enough to ensure proper version upgrades?

   I've upgraded 3 RH 9 system to FC1.  Other than missing a few new
packages like acpid.  I had no issues.  Yum upgrade seems to work as
well.  All I need to do was the following:

rpm -Uvh up2date-4.1.16-1.i386.rpm --force --nodeps
rpm --import /usr/share/rhn/RPM-GPG-KEY*
rpm -Uvh apt-0.5.15cnc1-0.fdr.3.1.i386.rpm
vi /etc/sources  (Point things to my personal mirror.)
apt-get update
apt-get distupgrade

--
There is no such thing as obsolete hardware.
Merely hardware that other people don't want.