Why Xserver dies after changing from init 5 to init 3

Corné Beerse cbeerse at lycos.nl
Tue Dec 9 11:04:48 UTC 2003

Tsikadillo wrote:
> The question is why my  xserver dies when i tried to change my init from
> 5 to 3 and when i tried to reactivate the xserver i received a message

Changing from init 5 to init 3 is one of the polite ways to ask for killing the
Xserver. Hence that's why the Xserver dies. Init 3 (runlevel 3) is the runlevel
to run without X at the console hence they are killed.

> XIO error 104 (Connection reset by peer ) on X server ":0.0"
> after 0 requests (0 known processes) with 0 events remaining .

I guess that's some message from a process that relies on X but does not get the
message X is leaving the building. Hence it finds no X and reports so.

I think the 0-s in this indicate there is nothing wrong, just a kill indication.

> I had no errors of type (EE) , but the following messages before the
> last I wrote :
>
> Could not init font path element unix/:7100, removing from list!

I think this message comes from an Xserver that finds its fontserver has lost a
connection. I think the fontserver is also halted in runlevel 3 and just kills
before the Xserver. I regard this as a misconfiguration, the fontserver is neded
by the Xserver hence the Xserver should die first, then the fontserver.

> also : Fatal server error
> could not open default font 'fixed'
> Thanks for the help
> If this is a bug please inform me via e-mail and  for  any potential way
> to fix it !!!!

I think there is some misconfiguration at the edges: the order in which the
services for the Xserver and such are stopped do need some update.

Personally I think runlevel 4 should be introduced: go in headless-server mode:
provide all services for Xservers like fontservers, xdmcp (the xlogin services)
and such. Only the console should stay in text mode, as it is in runlevel 3.

CBee