Downloading Fedora now. Have some quetions/comments..

Scott Talbot talbotscott at cox.net
Tue Dec 9 23:43:58 UTC 2003

On Mon, 2003-12-08 at 20:01, Lord Jester wrote:
> Hello,
>
> 	Like the topic says I'm downloading now but I have some questions. I'm
> running suse 9.0 now, and have grub as my boot loader. When I install fedora
> what do I do? I mean would it be OK to just overwrite grub? If I keep it will
> it detect fedora with no problems? I'm installing to another drive so I'll
> have both OS's.

<snip>

Fedora will detect the presence of suse, but it's anyones guess if it
will put a new grub together and include suse in the menu.
Luckily it is easy to fix that.  Go ahead and reinstall GRUB to the MBR.
Once you are loaded and using Fedora, and you want to use suse for
whatever reason, you will need to mount the suse /boot partition or
directory and copy the portion of the grub.conf file that tells grub how
to start suse, then copy that text into the fedora grub.conf file.

When you reboot you should see all of your OS's try the suse just to
make sure it works, but there should be no problems.  I did the same
thing with 2 copies of RH9 (darn ximian desktop screwed up my system
hard!) before I got fedora and that worked ok!

Scott