removed mp3 support in media players in fedora core 1

Exile In Paradise exile at weylan-yutani.com
Wed Dec 10 02:32:47 UTC 2003

On Tue, 2003-12-09 at 18:08, J.B. Nicholson-Owens wrote:
> What you could do is re-rip and re-encode in a lossless format like FLAC.
> FLAC is both Free Software and lossless (hence the name (F)ree (L)ossless
> (A)udio (C)odec).  http://flac.sourceforge.net/ has more information.  The
> tradeoff you're making is size--FLAC files are bound to be larger than the
> lossy-compressed versions of the same audio.  I've seen FreshRPMs.net carry
> FLAC programs for many GNU/Linux distributions.
> http://yarrow.freshrpms.net/rpm.html?id=65 has RPMs for Fedora Core 1
> GNU/Linux (including an XMMS plugin to play FLACs directly).

Thanks for the tip.

Since I ripped these at 320Kbps, they are already huge... but Dark Side
of the Moon just doesn't sound right in 128Kbps.

I was hoping to avoid putting over 300 CDs through the machine again...
ah well. I guess its something to do over Xmas vacation from work.

Lat time I got an egg timer and set it for the length of each
rip/encode, and just had it go off over and over again until I was done.
The constant reminder helped plow through them all pretty quickly.

It will be even better this time since I can rip from the Linux box
rather than running to some broken Windoze box every few minutes.

> >From a lossless encoding scheme you can go to any lossless scheme you wish
> and never have to re-rip again (so long as you're satisfied with the rip you
> encoded losslessly).  By sticking with a Free Software encoding scheme, you
> have software you can port to whatever OS you want and you'll never have to
> fear making your collection obsolete because your new software won't read
> your old files.

That's true too.

--
Exile In Paradise