raid install problem

Scott Burns sburns at ihug.com.au
Thu Dec 11 11:23:35 UTC 2003

Raymond Norton wrote:

>I set up raid level 1 with two 30 Gig drives on a new install. I select
>"fill to maximum capacity"on each drive  and mounted it at / . Everything
>looked as I expected before moving on with the install. The box boots and
>runs fine, and I can see in the system logs that /dev/md0 is created using
>hda1, and hdc1. I can pull hdc1 and the box boots fine without any errors or
>complaining. If I pull hda1 I get  a "missing operating system error". I am
>expecting to see the box boot with either one of the drives pulled.
>
>Any advise would be appreciated.

Point 1: In my experience, modern BIOSs only let you boot off of the
primary IDE bus.

Point 2: Even if you could boot off the secondary, you would need to
install GRUB into both hda _and_ hdc's boot sector.

You could put both on the primary but I've heard that when one HDD goes
on IDE, you can kiss the other goodbye too.

Scott