how bleeding edge will the next fedora release be?

Preston Crawford me at prestoncrawford.com
Thu Dec 11 16:14:48 UTC 2003

On Thu, 2003-12-11 at 06:16, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
> > There are some on this list who seem to disagree with you. I think they
>
> But who?  The final arbiters are the development team.  They may have
> their own goals, but if they want to take the community's views into
> account, it's important for all views in the community to be aired.

Right, but clearly there are some in this community, namely Mr. Hooper,
who seem to believe that Fedora should be bleeding edge and if we don't
like it we can go jump off a bridge because we're leeches. This seems
extremely contrary to the spirit of how Fedora started. I have no
freaking clue where this is coming from, but if this is the "spirit" of
Fedora, then Fedora is doomed. And I hope it isn't because it's started
out very promising in my view.

> > may just be pushing Red Hat products. If this is the party line, maybe
> > it's time to start looking again. Please tell me this isn't what Fedora
> > is about. It's started out so promising.
>
> I have a hard time believing that Red Hat wants Fedora to be known as a
> toy.  They push it as a technology preview distro, but that doesn't mean
> they're not paying attention to quality.

I agree. I've been happy with the quality of FC1. Yeah, there are some
glitches, but so what. It's a great, usable distro and I do enjoy being
part of the feedback loop on what needs to be fixed. I just don't want
to run stuff on the bleeding edge. If I wanted to do that I'd go run
Mandrake Cooker.

> Fedora).  As a technology preview, Fedora emphatically is not concerned
> with this view.  But they can move forward in this area at a pace that
> does not sacrifice quality.  I would like to encourage them to do so.

Same here.

Preston