Urgent: System complains about /etc/rc.d/rcinit and can't mount fstab entries

Jesse Keating jkeating at j2solutions.net
Thu Dec 11 20:42:59 UTC 2003

On Thursday 11 December 2003 12:20, Tobias Weisserth wrote:
> I do not know what happened to the system. I can only guess. The
> users told me that the machine did not show the usual GDM login
> screen but some "ugly other login screen" which they couldn't
> operate. I guess they were talking about the XFree standard login
> screen. They then rebooted the system and it stuck like described
> above. My guess is that maybe the machine has lost power due a
> electricity problem. But how can this mess up a system that runs on a
> journaled filesystem? I hope I can rule out hardware failures since
> the machine is a brand new Dell system.

First of all, ensure that the system bios is detecting the drives
correctly.  Second of all, when you get to the rescue, use: fdisk -l
to get a list of the drives/partitions.  Then you can use fsck on those
drives.  The syntax is:

fsck /dev/hda3

or to auto-answer yes to all repair questions:

fsck -y /dev/hda3

--
Jesse Keating RHCE MCSE (geek.j2solutions.net)
Fedora Legacy Team      (www.fedora.us/wiki/FedoraLegacy)

Was I helpful?  Let others know: