Lotsa-drive cases (was: Re: raid controller recommendation)

Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz at simpaticus.com
Sat Dec 13 02:16:33 UTC 2003

At 10:44 12/12/2003, you wrote:
>The company I work for (Pogo Linux http://www.pogolinux.com) sells 3ware
>based systems by the dozens each month, all to people who use them and
>use them successfully in production environments. [...]  All
>our customers throughly enjoy their system, as long as they don't use
>ext3 on it.  ext3 is horribly slow as of late.
>
>For larger disk sets, rackmount chassis are usually the best way to go.
>Supermicro makes some great 1u 4drive sets, and there are various
>vendors that make 2u (9/12 drive) and 3u (9/12/16 drive) chassis.

Jesse, could you recommend some specific cases and comment on the ext3 thing?

I've done some looking but simply cannot find stuff I like for a
12-or-more-drives rackmount case. I'm not looking for the space shuttle
here, since the thing is for a home or SOHO server... but I would like to
put in a 2-drive RAID-1 array for the OS, a 12-drive RAID-5 array, and a
CD-RW... so it looks like I need 15 bays to build my dream home system.

And I've only used ext2 earlier and now ext3 on Linux, so I have no idea
what else I could/would/should use.

Your comments much appreciated.

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz