Training SpamAssassin

Neil B. Cohen nbc at aikisoft.com
Sat Dec 13 20:05:23 UTC 2003

I have installed SpamAssassin on my mail server and it works very well.
But it is still picking up only 50-60% of the junk delivered to my
mailbox. So recently I started saving the junk that gets through into a
SPAM folder and then I tried running

sa-learn --spam --file spambox

on that folder. I had 250+ messages in the folder, but when it finishes,
it says something like "Learned from 1 message".

So I have a couple of questions:

1) Am I doing something wrong here? How do I get it to process all 250
messages (or did it and it just didn't tell me?)

2) Can I expect to get SpamAssassin to get up to the point of getting
rid of 90% or 95% of the junk that crosses the Net these days?

For the record, I'm using Evolution to move messages from my input
folder into the spam folder, and I ran sa-learn under my own account,
not as root...

Thanks,

nbc
--
NAME:   Neil B. Cohen (Aiki Software)
PHONE:  703-444-4610
DOMAIN: nbc at aikisoft.com
* Murphy's Philosophy: Smile - tomorrow will be worse..  *
* O'Tooles Commentary: Murphy was an optimist!           *