glibc headache

Mark Mielke mark at mark.mielke.cc
Mon Dec 15 06:45:12 UTC 2003

On Mon, Dec 15, 2003 at 02:20:53AM -0300, Diego Ventrice wrote:
> I just started upgrading from RH 7.2 to Fedora 1, everything went
> just fine till I upgraded glibc.  after that I couldn't get any
> other rpm installed, I always get a "Segmentation fault" error.

> I just got and installed the last fedora's glibc packages (
> 2.3.2-101.1 ) but the problem is still there, thank god everything
> keeps running....

I've seen this before when I upgraded glibc + rpm in the wrong order
(where wrong is difficult to define until you find yourself screwed).

I chose to recover from it by grabbing working glibc .so files from
another un-upgraded system (ftp still worked! :-) ) and over-writing
the RPM-installed glibc .so files. Then, upgrade rpm. Then force
install glibc (to fix the over-written files). This process took only
a few minutes to complete. This solution isn't for the faint of heart.

Others ways that could be pursued are: Boot from the RedHat install CD
in rescue mode - force install the previous glibc using rpm in the mode
where it can modify a different / (I've never done it before - you will
have to research how to do this). Reboot. Install rpm first, then glibc.

Good luck,
mark

--
mark at mielke.cc/markm at ncf.ca/markm at nortelnetworks.com __________________________