Lotsa-drive cases (was: Re: raid controller recommendation)

Jesse Keating jkeating at j2solutions.net
Mon Dec 15 17:17:19 UTC 2003

On Friday 12 December 2003 18:16, Rodolfo J. Paiz wrote:
> Jesse, could you recommend some specific cases and comment on the
> ext3 thing?

as to the ext3, it's just slow.  Disk I/O comparison vs JFS, Reiserfs,
XFS, and especially ext2 show ext3 to be very slow.

> I've done some looking but simply cannot find stuff I like for a
> 12-or-more-drives rackmount case. I'm not looking for the space
> shuttle here, since the thing is for a home or SOHO server... but I
> would like to put in a 2-drive RAID-1 array for the OS, a 12-drive
> RAID-5 array, and a CD-RW... so it looks like I need 15 bays to build
> my dream home system.

For 12 drives, and CDRW stuff, you're looking at the 3u racksize.  Even
then you'll most likely only find chassis that have slim CDR[W]
options.  Something like this:

http://www.chenbro.com.tw/product/product.jsp?p=3&s=305

> And I've only used ext2 earlier and now ext3 on Linux, so I have no
> idea what else I could/would/should use.

FC1 supports ext2, ext3, reiserfs, jfs, and a few other file systems.

--
Jesse Keating RHCE MCSE (geek.j2solutions.net)
Fedora Legacy Team      (www.fedora.us/wiki/FedoraLegacy)

Was I helpful?  Let others know: