Problems exporting PATH after modified.

Keith G. Robertson-Turner redhat-forums at genesis-x.nildram.co.uk
Mon Dec 15 18:08:25 UTC 2003

On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 10:23:08 -0500, Steven W. Orr wrote:

> On Monday, Dec 15th 2003 at 08:39 -0500, quoth ne...:

>>On Dec 15, 2003 at 13:38, Jacques Escape in a soothing rage wrote: =>

>>> I'm having some problems exporting the PATH environmental variable
>>> after I have modified it in the Terminal that comes with KDE.

>> That is the correct behaviour. You need to add the =>PATH statement to
>> your shell resource config file. =>For the bash shell use
>> ~/.bash_profile or ~/.bashrc.

> Please do *not* simply add it to the .bashrc. The proper way to do it is
> to set your PATH in a .bash_path and have that .bash_path sourced in by
> the .bash_profile.

Or for truly global aliases, paths etc., have a look at:

/etc/profile.d/*.{sh,csh}

Just add a new sh/csh script. Here's one I did for Java, for example:

[root at somewhere root]# cat /etc/profile.d/java.sh
export JAVA_HOME="/usr/lib/jre"
export PATH="$PATH:$JAVA_HOME/bin"

Everything in /etc/profile.d/ will be run by the /etc/profile script every
logon, and the paths/aliases should be available to all users (assuming
read/write permissions allow access to those paths).

-
Keith