Can't log in and GDM is behaving strangely

Runar Ingebrigtsen runar at ingebrigtsen.net
Mon Dec 15 20:17:06 UTC 2003

I have trouble logging in on Fedora Core 1.0.

Root have no problems whatsoever, neither on console or in X. Or in
fact; I have started using KDE as default choice in
/etc/sysconfig/desktop since GDM was troubling with starting another X
session and then complaining that another X session already was running.

But, my users can't login. Neither on console or KDM. I even tried
running "screen" from a virtual terminal after being logged into KDE
with root and then typing "login" to get the prompt and log in. Login
crashes and screen exits when I do so.

This is what /var/log/messages say:
Dec 15 20:51:37 lillabox login[4873]: FAILED LOGIN 2 FROM (null) FOR ,
Authentication failure
Dec 15 20:51:37 lillabox login(pam_unix)[4873]: bad username []

*yes* I am sure I did not type wrong username. I tried different user
names, too.

Does anyone have a clue?

--
  (^<   Best Regards