can't get dell E772p to display at > 640x480

Emmanuel Seyman seyman at wanadoo.fr
Tue Dec 16 14:17:49 UTC 2003

On Tue, Dec 16, 2003 at 08:59:39AM -0500, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

>   like i said, i have no experience with intel video cards.  is there a configuration
> setting to get it to handle a higher bpp at this resolution?  thanks.

I spent all of Saturday installing Debian testing on 5 Dell Optiplex 460.
To make X work with the included i845 chipset, we had to go to Intel's
website and download the graphics drivers that were there (these are in
XFree 4.3 but Deb-test comes with 4.2.1).

We also had to change two BIOS settings:
 - change DRM setting to "on"
 - Raise "VGA memory" to 8 (instead of the default 1)
This might be your problem.

After we were able to setup X without any problems.
HTH.

Emmanuel