cdrom/floppy umount issue possible bug

damon fister damon at cns-tech.net
Tue Dec 16 16:52:42 UTC 2003

Hello all,

Forgive me if this issue has been addressed and I am overlooking it in
the archive. My problem is when trying to either eject or unmount a
floppy drive or cdrom, I receive an error that the device is busy. There
is no activity on either the cdrom or floppy drive and no applications
open using either device. I have tried, as both an unprivileged user and
root)
umount -n /mnt/floppy
umount -r /mnt/floppy
eject /dev/fd0
all to no avail. There are no hung processes and no errors in
/var/log/messages. I am in run level 5 using gnome 2.4.0 and receive the
errors from both nautilus (when right clicking on the icon for either
the floppy or cdrom)  and from the command line. Logging off and logging
on does not solve the problem and can only unmount the filesystem by
rebooting. /etc/fstab looks normal, nothing is setup in autofs.  The
only package changes that have been made since i started having these
problems were the released updates from the fedora core site.
I am running FC1 2.4.22-1.2129.nptl kernel on a P4 2.66 processor, Intel
Motherboard 845GEBV2 running the latest BIOS update with 512MB of ram.
The CD-Rom is a Creative Labs 52x cd rom and the floppy drive is TEAC. I
thank you all for your help in advance

Damon Fister