two gripes about Evolution ...

Fritz Whittington f.whittington at att.net
Tue Dec 16 18:15:11 UTC 2003

On or about 2003-12-16 09:08, Rodolfo J. Paiz whipped out a trusty #2
pencil and scribbled:

> At 08:16 12/16/2003, you wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 2003-12-16 at 04:40, T. Ribbrock wrote:
>>
>> > Point is, that flag is non-standard, which means you cannot rely on
>> the
>> > recipient seeing it anyway. And even if he does see it, he might very
>> > well ignore it, as so many spammers use it as well.
>>
>> I believe this flag with outlook was created and expected to work for
>> users within a company/network, not in general with POP clients
>

> Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I recall using priorities in
> Eudora back in 1995, well before Outlook was even created.
>
> Most things were not invented by MS, contrary to what they'd like you
> to believe... <grin>

Well, if you open the horse's mouth, and look at the teeth, you'll note
that there are two commonly used headers: X-MS-Priority: <text> and
announcing a conference 6 months in advance).  This mail could obviously
be saved until the wee hours of the morning, when long-distance calls
were cheaper.  X-Priority: 1 was intended for extremely urgent mail,
usually having to do with network conditions, and generally sent between
sysadmins.  The net was so different then, no one would dream of setting
a bogus priority that was inappropriate for the real urgency of a message.

And they aren't really NON-standard.  All headers beginning with "X-"
are allowed specifically by the standard, with the usage and semantics
to be agreed upon by the community involved.  That's why when MS wanted
a *user-to-user* indicator of priority, they avoided the earlier
of Outlook users.

--
Fritz Whittington
TI Alum - http://www.tialumni.org