two gripes about Evolution ...

David Keen keend at btinternet.com
Tue Dec 16 22:36:23 UTC 2003

On Tue, 2003-12-16 at 22:01, Elton Woo wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-12-16 at 16:41, David Keen wrote:
> > On Tue, 2003-12-16 at 20:55, Elton Woo wrote:
>
> > > is that unlike some other mailers, you cannot selectively
> > > delete some of the messages in the trash folder.
>
> > That's because when you delete an email it is only marked for deletion.
> > Your email isn't gone until you have expunged it.  The Trash folder is
> > actually a vFolder.
>  Sorry, I guess I didn't explain myself properly. I am aware of
> the feature of "hiding" deleted mail. What I mean is that (with other
> mailers), I was able to expunge *some* of the trash, and
> keep others that I didn't want to wipe out immediately.
>
>  As I understand it (perhaps wrongly) if I select "empty trash",
> I don't have the choice to save *some messages* which I *don't want to
> delete immediately*, but which I just want to leave in the trash.
> ... at least at the time of emptying, hence my statement of "it's
> all or nothing"...
> ...er, am i explaining myself properly?
> Perhaps I could do "show deleted" and thus "recover" those (which
> I don't want to really expunge at the moment, before I "clean the
> trash". (But then I'll have to 'mark them as deleted again').
> Oh well, "Man findet immer ein Ausweg" as my friends in Europe say.
>
> Does this sound right?

*nod*

I guess, I just never had the need to delete only some of my trash.  It
generally sits in there a day or so and then I 'expunge' it.  I can
undelete any messages during this time (you don't need to unhide them to
do this).

Any mail that I think I might want in the future I don't move to the
trash!

BTW, I thought VFolders were a little strange to begin with as well, but
now I find them quite useful.

--
David