redhat-config-xfree86 enhancement?

John McBride jmcbride at ccis.com
Wed Dec 17 03:35:58 UTC 2003

Craig White wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-12-16 at 18:39, John McBride wrote:
>
>>William Hooper wrote:

>>>Nope, sorry.  I know from experience that Microsoft will do the same
>>>thing, generally under the same situation.  Try setting an LCD panel
>>>(connected to a KVM that doesn't pass the info) to a resolution higher
>>>than it supports.
>>>

>>The same guy who built this fedora box builds about 10 windows boxes the
>>same way every week.
>>
>>He builds up the system using a display on his desk, then unplugs the
>>box and carries it to the destination cube and plugs in a flat panel
>>display. Same model displays on each end, different OS.
>>
>>He gets a gui from MS windows, and can reconfigure to the new display.
>
> redhat-config-xfree86 --reconfig

Yes, the previous replies already mention this. Redundant.

> OK - so momentarily, you don't get pretty screen to look at when you
> reconfigure X-Windows for different screen and you have to type one
> sentence instead of clicking your way through things.

Personally I don't care. It looks unprofessional to the users, whom we
are trying to transition into Linux. It looks like a system failure
(rather than a misconfiguration) to them, and that's a BAD thing where I
work.

> The best thing about open source is that you can add value to the system
> by writing the program which solves the problem instead of just sitting
> back and whining.

Whining...like the sounds you're making right now? All I did was mention
the possibility of an enhancement to Fedora, on the Fedora mailing list.

That's what this list is for; there was no notice that I had to
contribute patches here when I signed up, only that I try and stay on
topic. Somehow, in your mind, you are a valid participant and I am not.

You, a person who makes a redundant comment, then resorts to
name-calling while closing things out, yeah that makes a lot of sense!