Is this a solution to duplicate emails?

T. Ribbrock emgaron at gmx.net
Wed Dec 17 14:39:37 UTC 2003

On Wed, Dec 17, 2003 at 09:00:33AM -0500, Chris A Czerwinski wrote:

[procmail receipe snipped]

> Can this work with Evolution? Since you say 'man procmailex' tells me
> that this is a console/terminal command? How can I bring it or tie it to
> Evolution.

I don't know whether you can tie something like this directly into
Evolution's setup, as I've never used Evolution. It might be possible,
if the filters that Evolution has are able to run external programs (in
this case 'formail') - but someone else would have to confirm that.

Other than that, I'm using a fetchmail+procmail setup, i.e. fetchmail
fetches the mail via POP3 and delivers it via procmail (not directly,
but it's the default setup anyway, so I'll skip the details). Procmail
then filters the mail as I see fit.
Biggest advantage of this approach is that I'm completely free in what
mail program I want to use - the filters will always work. I also use
this to sort out mailing lists into separate folders.
The downside (yup, there is one...) is that it's a bit more difficult to
set up when you're new to fetchmail/procmail. With a bit of reading it's
doable, though.

Cheerio,

Thomas