fedora core 1 on a dell inspiron 5150

rolf deenen rdeenen at home.nl
Thu Dec 18 00:27:22 UTC 2003

Hello,

I'm having serious issues when trying to install fc1 on my inspiron 5150 laptop. Installation goed without a hitch, but when booting i have the following problems:

-an error saying: "insmod: /lib/modules/2.4.22-1.2129.nptl/kernel/drivers/block/floppy.o insmod: block-major-2 failed"
-after i resolved this by putting "alias floppy no" in /etc/modules.conf i get the following: a comletely red screen (sometimes red with pink vertical stripes, no kidding) just after it says "press i for interactive setup". (Red screen of death?!). I have to use the power-button to put it out of it's misery. Then suddenly this problem is gone after a few reboots (could be that i pressed "i", and that this resolved it, but i'm not sure)
-and then it hangs saying: "modprobe: can't locate module block-major-2" (sometimes it scrolls a large list with this line, but with different block-major-numbers like block-major-135)

Did anybody get fc1 running on a dell inspiron 5150, and how?

Hope somebody can help,

Rolf Deenen