rpm --nodeps vs. yum/apt

William Hooper whooperhsd3 at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 18 13:23:33 UTC 2003

Clif Smith  said:
> This is a little off topic as I'm dealing with Redhat 2.1AS in this
> scenario, but please read on.

You could have at least used the Taroon-list.

> Currently, I just do a rpm --Uvh --nodeps to allow the
> packages to be installed, knowing I'm installing the necessary
> dependants, but possibly not in the "correct" order.

This doesn't fall under a good reason to use "--nodeps" (there aren't
many).  If you install the RPMs using one command (for example rpm -Uvh
*.rpm) then RPM takes care of the dependancies.  Using nodeps leaves the
possibility of missed packages, version conflicts, etc.

--
William Hooper