Tips for using "extra" keyboard keys. Mini-HOWTO

Keith G. Robertson-Turner redhat-forums at genesis-x.nildram.co.uk
Thu Dec 18 20:14:15 UTC 2003

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 12:16:30 -0500, James Drabb wrote:

> There is an even easier method to cut the HOWTO down even further.
>
> Go to http://www.hadess.net/misc-code.php3 and download ACME, or:
>   apt-get install acme
>
> Now just point-n-click to set up your custom keys : )

Excellent!

I downloaded and built it, and it just works. Seems to be a daemon
intercepting keystrokes rather than reconfiguring X's keymap, which is
fine by me.

It is Gnome specific, but then most apps seem polymorphic these days
anyway, provided you have the necessary support libs installed. AFAICT the
Gnome specific stuff is just window/toolkit related rather than anything
fundamental.

There's also a caveat in the README about it only really working on Apple
notebooks, but it seems fine here with my Logitech keyboard.

Be nice if this went into FC2 ... hmmm, maybe another QA submission?

BTW, how did you find this? I spent an afternoon googling and came up
empty. I guess I should start reading Debian lists, eh?

Oh and the latest prebuilt version I found was at Matthew Hall's NyQuist
repo at http://people.ecsc.co.uk/~matt/downloads/apt/ (version 2.4.1-1)

-
Keith