IP Configuration (actually, 3com prob)

Jim Cornette jim-cornette at insight.rr.com
Sun Dec 21 17:28:53 UTC 2003

Jonathan Alexander Daniel wrote:
> I just installed Fedora as an upgrade to RedHat 9.0.  I lost my internet
> connection.
>
> Upon booting I get the following information:
>
> ipchains and ip tables can not be used together [Warning]
> Determining IP information for eth1...failed; no link present.  Check cable?

You seem to be having the same exact symptoms that I had with my
EtherLink XL PCI card. Nobody else seemed to get the same check cable
error as you and I have.

Basically, they killed the card's functionality between RH9 and Severn1.
Now it seems that either stopping kudzu from loading on startup,
disabling the network graphical boot loader and other tricks.

I took out the card and substituted a later version 3com card in to
shuffle around the problem.

I am getting ready to put the card in my machine again and try it out
with the 2.6 kernel. Someone mentioned that it was a 2.4 kernel with
nptl support problem. I'm rather curious.

Jim

BTW - If you run dhclient from a root terminal, you should get an IP
address. It allowed me to run KDE and most applications.
Mozilla, GNOME and a few other applications were killed though.

--
The goal of science is to build better mousetraps.  The goal of nature
is to build better mice.