Arjan 2.6 kernel soundcard problems

Jim Cornette jim-cornette at insight.rr.com
Mon Dec 22 03:51:25 UTC 2003

Tim Kossack wrote:

>Am Mo, den 22.12.2003 schrieb Jim Cornette um 02:59:
>

>>Tim Kossack wrote:
>>

>>>just installed the latest arjan-kernel which works just fine, except
>>>after booting the volume comtrol in the taskbar says "no audio device"
>>>and the big mixer won't start either. after running the
>>>audio-device-test and removing and readdition of the vc in the taskbar
>>>sound is working fine. anyone knows how to fix this, because after ever
>>>reboot i've to do the same steps again...
>>>

>>Sort of a me too. I run redhat-config-soundcard after boot and it
>>detects the card. The mixer then works. The toolbar applet does not work
>>though.
>>
>>I never tried audio-device-test though. This is true with Dave's
>>development version as with Arjan's 2.6 version.
>>

>hi,
>
>good to know i'm not alone. i guess, if the "redhat-config-soundcard"
>you mentioned is the gui-tool under "system settings", we're talking
>about the same program...;-)(i'm german).
>
>have you tried to leftclick on the toolbar applet _after_ you ran the
>test "remove from panel", and then leftclick on an empty space appr.
>where the applet was, in result showing a menue where you chose "add to
>menue" -> "multimedia -> "volume control"?
>works in my case.
>
>let's wait and see if this gets fixed.

I'm not too concerned about the sound applet not working. I just let it
"think" that there is no audio device. I hope that it gets fixed with
further development withr FC2.

There are others that are having problems loading their sound modules
that replied on the fedora-test list. No one has said if they tried to
run redhat-config-soundcard or just tried to insmod the related modules.

The program is most likely the same one that you used, with different
names. I run it from the comandline through a root terminal. It looks
the same program through
System Settings >> Soundcard Detection in the English menu setup.

Jim

--
There is a 20% chance of tomorrow.