Help I hosed my boot loader Fedora Core will not boot.

Samuel Flory sflory at rackable.com
Wed Dec 24 00:45:12 UTC 2003

M.Hockings wrote:
> Caleb Rodriguez wrote:
>
>> I was messing around and tried to installyet another distro (Mandrake
>> 9.2) i did the defaults. I already had xp dual booted with Fedora Core
>> 1 working perfectly. I decided to experiment and install another
>> distro since I could not get Xandros to install.  Anyway here is the
>> story. I went to install Mandrake 9.2 and all seemed to go well. When
>> I rebooted grub only gave me the options for mandrake and windoze. I
>> booted into windoze to remove the mandrake partitions and cleared my
>> restore.
>> My system only boots in the other OS and I want to go back and be able
>> to boot from either one. The partitions for Fedora Core 1 are still
>> intact. I just need to know what to do besides reinstall. I do not
>> wish to lose any of my data.
>>
>> Help please..
>> Thanks
>

> Having been in a similar situation (can only boot Windows on a
> Windows/RH Linux machine)  I used the RH install CD and did an "upgrade"
> install and told it to upgrade the boot installer (grub in my case).  It
> did that, determined that no updates were required and all was fine on
> reboot.
>
> Other than than you can boot the CD in recover (or is it repair? --
> there is some help when you boot the CD) mode and use that to fix the
> boot parms.

   Boot the cdrom in rescue mode.  "linux rescue"  Then follow allow the
installer to mount your root partition. Then just chroot into the
mounted filesystem and run "grub-install /dev/hda" (or sda for scsi, and
sata or raid systems systems)

--
There is no such thing as obsolete hardware.
Merely hardware that other people don't want.