up2date not automatic

Dennis Calhoun dcalhoun at blomand.net
Wed Dec 24 00:45:48 UTC 2003

On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 17:25:16 +0000, you wrote:

>On Tuesday 23 December 2003 16:49, Dennis Calhoun wrote:
>> On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 11:42:20 -0500, you wrote:
>> >Then, if you wanted to start yum manually, type: "service yum
>> > start"
>>
>> Thank you, but is there not a GUI menu item to do that? If not,
>> then it is no wonder that folks get the RHN and Yum stuff confused.
>>
>> --
>> Dennis C.
>>

>Yes, there is, but since it appears from your previous comments you
>have upgraded from another distribution then yum probably isn't
>installed on your system unless you installed it intentionally. e.g.:
>
>up2date --nox -i yum

Thanks Mike. I tried that and found , as you surely already knew and I
did not, that it is a purely "command line" way to run yum. You're
right about mine being an upgrade, from RHL9, but it seems odd to me
that yum would not automatically be installed, since it seems to be so
different from the normal RH up2date. Would it be wise for me to go
back to the install disks and install yum now? If so, can you please
tell me which disk it is on and if and how I should go about removing
the existing up2date from my system? I've also head something about it
being impossible to subscribe to RHN or whatever with yum.... is there
more I should know about that? Sorry to be so full of questions.

--
Dennis C.