Disable power button

Randy Kelsoe randykel at swbell.net
Wed Dec 24 18:38:53 UTC 2003

Arturo Fermin Jimenez wrote:

> Is there any way to disable the power and reset button  on  a  FC1 Box?
> It is the only safety measure I am missing in my setup.

Since we did not get a lot of details about what you are doing, I am
assuming you have a server that will very rarely be powered off, and you
don't want someone to accidentally press the reset switch or the power
switch and bring the machine down.

The reset switch can be unplugged from the motherboard. If your BIOS has
a setting for how to handle a PowerFailure, you could set it to start
back up when power is restored, then you could disconnect the power
switch. The problem I see with this is that if you shut the machine down
with a 'shutdown -h now' and the machine powers off, this would not be a
powerfail, and you would have to plug the power switch back in to power
up the machine. Maybe you could turn of apm, so the machine does not
power itself off on shutdown? Then you could just pull the power cord
and plug it back in when you want to restart the machine.

Not sure if this is what you wanted, so I hope it helps.