rename one file

Trevor Smith trevor at haligonian.com
Fri Dec 26 19:18:06 UTC 2003

On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 10:03:08 -0500 (EST), Tom Diehl wrote:

>vfat does not understand the consept of upper and lower case. IOW:
>file.extension and file.ExTeNsIoN are the same thing on vfat.

Right. So the files, regardless of their capitalization, are found
properly on the drive when using Windows.

But the same files, on the same fat32 drive, were not being found using
Linux because their extensions weren't capitalized the way they needed
to be.

So I was just trying to rename the darn things with the proper
capitalization, which, ironically, works in Windows, even though
Windows doesn't actually care about the differences. For example:

d:\>dir s*

28/08/2001  12:49p               4,066 styles.CSS

d:\>ren styles.css *.css

d:\>dir s*

28/08/2001  12:49p               4,066 styles.css

IOW, Windows doesn't *care* about the capitalization, but can rename at
will. Linux cares about the capitalization, but refused to let me
rename. I had to copy to a new temporary file then delete the original
then rename the temp to the original filename with the proper
capitalization. A pain in the butt.

 Trevor Smith    |    trevor at haligonian.com