Install on 32 meg celeron machine

Jeff Lasman blists at nobaloney.net
Sat Dec 27 15:18:40 UTC 2003

On Friday 26 December 2003 02:39 pm, Steve Watford wrote:

> I have a 300 MHz Celeron machine with 32 meg of memory.  Is fedora
> possible on this machine.

I've intentionally watched this thread a while before answering, to see
if my experience with low-end systems would be helpful.

Though I'm still quite active at age 59, I live in a Senior Citizens
Complex, where many of our residents have gotten older computers as
hand-me-downs from younger members of their family.  Many of them are
still using older systems.

Personally I run my last W98 (I continue to need one until there are
some replacement programs available for Linux) on a 300Mhz Celeron
system, but two years ago I upgraded it from 32MB to 64MB, and I
recently (about 4 to 6 months ago) upgraded it to as much as it'll
take, 256MB of memory.

It runs (and has for some time) with reasonable success,  NS 4.72 and NS
6, and in fact until recently I used it to handle all my mailing list
email with NS 4.72 email, hundreds of emails a day.  The reason I left
the platform for mailing lists was that searches through my huge email
list data base took too long, and not for any other reason.

I also run on it (and this is the main program on it, and why I still
keep it) PageMaker 6.5.  I've resisted upgrading because of the
platform limitations, but PM 6.5 runs very well.

My guess is it would be a lot easier (and less expensive if your time
has value) to add memory to these systems, rather than to cobble up a
Linux that would work.  Is there a good reason why you can't add
memory?  Memory is certainly cheap enough here in Southern California.

But if you need them, I've got some old RHL distributions I can copy off
for you.

Jeff
--
Jeff Lasman, nobaloney.net, P. O. Box 52672, Riverside, CA  92517 US
Professional Internet Services & Support / Consulting / Colocation