Radeon 9700 Overheating???

Elton Woo elwoo at videotron.ca
Sat Dec 27 23:52:12 UTC 2003

Jess Anderson wrote:

>Elton Woo:
>

>>Matt Brei:
>>

>>>Anyone having what seems to be a heat problem with a 9700 or
>>>any other newer radeon that uses the fglrx driver from ATI for
>>>that matter. []
>>>

>>Doesn't this video card come with an onboard fan? Have you
>>tried running it with the case open just to make sure that the
>>fan *is* indeed working?
>>

>A couple weeks ago my main machine started acting funny (it's
>running RH 7.2, not Fedora -- I have FC1 on my laptop, though).
>The video card was a 128 MB Radeon 8500 LE, which has a fan on
>the GPU. The fan was hosed (turning but way too slowly).

The very minute I noticed the fan was turning *too* slowly, I would
have IMMEDIATLY shut off the machine. Especially if I had a 128 Mb
video card in my machine instead of my cheapo (and reliable) 32 Mb
nVidia card!

.... ah! *Experience* ...it can be costly, but hopefully one learns!
<*tsk*!> <*tsk*!> <*tsk*!>

Elton ;-)

"You only live once: let's make life BETTER for each other."
LINUX User #193975 [AMD ATHLON CPU] ICQ #149608718.