Disable power button

Fritz Whittington f.whittington at att.net
Sun Dec 28 15:51:30 UTC 2003

On or about 2003-12-28 08:29, fred smith whipped out a trusty #2 pencil
and scribbled:

>On Sun, Dec 28, 2003 at 09:46:45AM -0400, Robert Marcano wrote:
>

>>On Wed, 2003-12-24 at 14:04, Arturo Fermin Jimenez wrote:
>>

>>>Is there any way to disable the power and reset button  on  a  FC1 Box?
>>>It is the only safety measure I am missing in my setup.
>>>
>>>Merry Christmas/Feliz Navidad everyone!!! :-D
>>>

>>If you are using an ACPI enabled motherboard/kernel read
>>/etc/acpi/events/sample.conf, it calls shutdown when a power button is
>>pressed
>>

>>>Arturo
>>>

>Also, some BIOSes have settings to control what the soft-power button
>does, possibly some may allow you to disable it entirely.

The power button is simply a momentary contact closure switch, connected
to the motherboard with two wires.  Replace the push-button with a
key-operated switch.  Keep the key.  The reset button is of the same
sort, but since it's not essential you could just disconnect it.

You could just disconnect the wires at the motherboard, usually it's
just a push-on stake-pin type of connector.  However, you would then
have to arrange something for powering-up after a power failure; either
by having a BIOS setting that turns on when power is restored, or by
opening the case to temporarily re-connect the button.

Remember that none of this prevents power-down by someone removing the
power cord, either from the back of the machine or from the wall
outlet.  If you want that type of security, you're going to have to use
armored conduit to wire the box directly to the power mains.   Keep in
mind that there may be local safety laws regarding how difficult it is
to remove power from a piece of equipment in an emergency.

You haven't really told us exactly what problem you're trying to solve
here.  If it's just to prevent an accidental push of the button, since
mostly they're recessed into the front panel, you could simply tape a
hard plastic card over the button, and a notice to use only in emergency.

--
Fritz Whittington
I believe that if it were left to artists to choose their own labels, most would choose none. (Ben Shahn)