Speaking of viruses

Mike Lyman mlyman-linux at comcast.net
Sun Dec 28 22:41:39 UTC 2003

On Sun, 2003-12-28 at 15:29, WA9ALS - John wrote:
> Another naive question from a Linux newbie - Are you guys all running
> antivirus software on your Fedora box?  I've had some pretty knowledgeable
> Linux guys tell me it's unnecessary - Could that be correct?  I understand
> that Linux is inherently less susceptible to system-wide problems that can
> be more easily spread on a Windows machine.  Give me a clue - Do I need
> Linux antivirus, and if so, what's generally accepted as the best?  Tnx -

If you are careful about what you run on your system and don't go with the wide open default settings, you can even run a Windows system without AV. (Which I in fact do.)

Your need for AV depends on the purpose of the system and the users of
that system. If you are running file server that end users access, I'd
run AV to make sure the files user are putting there are not infected.
If you are running a mail server, I'd have something installed (it
doesn't necessarily have to be AV software) to strip out the mass mailer
viruses.

--
Mike Lyman <mlyman-linux at comcast.net>