hostname

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Mon Dec 29 19:46:21 UTC 2003

Scott Ware wrote:
> Try using "hostname -v sesso2"...and see if that works :)

The hostname is set at boot time from the "HOSTNAME=" parameter in
/etc/sysconfig/network.  Edit that file and reboot.  Make sure that
you also have that hostname in /etc/hosts associated with the 127.0.0.1
address if it doesn't have a fixed IP:

     127.0.0.1	localhost localhost.localdomain myhost.mydomain.com

>>i am using gnome and when i do a hostname sesso2 it will make it my host
>>name but then  when i open programs a ton of erroerx come up... i reboot
>>and my hostname gets put back to local host... how can i set my hostname
>>to sesso2 without a ton of errors and having to reboot?
>>
>>--
>>jason pearl <jpearl24 at cox.net>
>>"Keep your friends close and your enemies closer"-Tupac
>>Kurrupted Visionz Phx, AZ    registered linux user #307811
>>MDK 9.2 Linux                   http://counter.li.org
>>AMD64 Opteron 1.6
>>ASUS SK8N
>>

> --

-        Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.        -