Boot-Up Hangs

Jim Cornette jim-cornette at insight.rr.com
Wed Dec 31 01:12:08 UTC 2003

Paul wrote:

>Hello All,
>
>After a fresh install, when the system boots it hangs after:
>
>Initializing Firewire controller (ohci1394):               [OK]
>
>Any suggestions how I can get past this?
>
>Paul

Some have found that adding acpi=on to the grub file has stopped the
lockups due to assigning the same interrupts to conflicting devices. I
had a hang during pcmcia before adding acpi=on to the grub file.

To get it to boot initially, highlight the kernel selection that you
want to use. press the a key. Next hit the space bar and then add
acpi=on after the space. Hit enter and see if this gets you booted up
successfully.

If you have a device attached to the fire wire port. (cdrom or hard
drive). Check the list archives for firewire remedies discussed earlier.

Jim