hoax or bad taste joke by Redhat's CEO?

Eric Harrison eharrison at mail.mesd.k12.or.us
Wed Nov 5 05:36:30 UTC 2003

On Wed, 5 Nov 2003, Alexander Dalloz wrote:

>Today I found this online article:
>
>http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1104_2-5101690.html
>
>I must confess, that I am more than a little bit irritated. Is that a
>hoax?
>
>From my point of view, Fedora is a very good desktop linux, but maybe
>Redhat just takes it as an unserious playground.

The article irritated me as well, the way it was written I assume it
was intended to be irritating.

Here's another article written from a different perspective:

>For several years since now I am an enthusiastic Redhat user - both on
>desktop and on servers as well - and think it is a good strategy to
>divide enterprise products from home user product. This does not mean,
>that Linux is far from be good for desktops systems in the enterprise
>area nor on home users, private PCs.

You and I are not the typical home desktop market...

There is a huge difference between the home desktop market and the
enterprise desktop market. The enterprise desktop has a narrower
scope and better support than the home market.

I put Linux desktops in schools, Linux does extrememly well there.
With a narrow scope and better support, Linux rocks.

But when my mother bought a new computer, I did not offer to install
Linux on it. I look forward to the day that I can do so.

>If these statements in the article are really by Matthew Szulik, he
>should overthink whether his is right at position as CEO. I never heard
>an officer telling customers to better buy the product from the
>competitor.

I've seen IBM spec Sun servers for specific projects, as one of many
examples.

Even the huge companies like IBM have to acknowledge where they are
competitive and where they are not. Picking a fight were you can't
compete is not smart business.

-Eric