Another Nvidia problem (the rpms)

Peter Backlund peter.backlund at home.se
Fri Nov 7 19:34:48 UTC 2003

Hi.

First an important note:

I've built a kernel module for AMD cpus as well, since the first one was
built in a P4 which didn't work at all on AMD. the glx rpm is the same,
but there are two kernel module rpms, in athlon/ and p4/ directories at

http://www2.educ.umu.se/~peter/nvidia/

Make sure you get the right kernel module rpm!

>>It seems hw accelerated OpenGL works to some extent, however this screen
>>saver blackout issue is new to me. If it can be fixed by removing
>>XFree86-Mesa-libGL, I'll add a Conflicts:  XFree86-Mesa-libGL to the
>>nvidia-glx rpm. glxgears seems to work without removing that rpm though.
>

> It does appear that XFree86-Mesa-libGL is a conflict.

I (and others) have confirmed that GL screensavers work, and that the
"dri is missing" message doesn't show, after removing
XFree86-Mesa-libGL, so I'll add a Conflicts: to the spec and let the
package manager take care of it.

>>Installing with the downloader script on top of the rpms, or installing
>>the rpms on top of a script install, is not supported and may go either
>>way. It's only supposed to work on a clean system.
>
> I first uninstalled the drivers from Nvidia-installer before installing
> your rpms (which I do like, by the way).
>
> I finally figured out my problem with "no preview available" when I had
> GLU properly installed.  The permissions on the /dev/nvidia* devices
> were wrong!  I have not looked into this issue in detail and do not know
> whether this has anything to do with your rpms or whether it's an NVidia
> driver issue.

Those devices should be owned by whoever is logged in via gdm, with
permissions 0600. I know that the Nvidia installer edits this in some
way (chmo 0666 I think), but I don't know if it cleans it up in any way.
It works on a clean system anyway.

If you boot to init 3, you'll need to set the permissions manually.

Finally, if you've manually edited XF86Config after having installed
the drivers with the downloader script, you'll need to revert the
changes back to FC default. The configuration is NOT the same for the
two installation methods.

/Peter