up2date --register

Marc Williams marcw at onlymooo.com
Fri Nov 7 23:07:48 UTC 2003

On Thu, 2003-11-06 at 22:58, Gerry Tool wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-11-06 at 22:45, Louis Garcia wrote:
> > That still does not solve the rhn-applet problem. If their is no need to
> > register their should be no reason to mention it.
> >
> > --Lou
>
> I'm not sure what you are saying.  What do you mean by "mention it"?
> There is no need to register your computer on Red Hat Network, because
> Red Hat Network (RHN) is not used by up2date in Fedora Core.  It might
> be sometime in the future, but not at this time.

I think he's saying the same thing I was wondering.  If RHN is out of
the equation, why do so many things seems to reference it?  If I click
on my Alert icon, what pops up but a message alerting me to the fact
that I am not registered with RHN with a convenient button to do just
that.  Canceling out of that leaves the main "Red Hat Network Alert
Notification Tool" telling me that the applet hasn't been able to access
a couple different sources.  If I ignore that warning and go right into
the "Launch up2date" button, I am presented with the Red Hat Update
Agent screen telling me that this agent will assist me in updating my
software from the Red Hat Network.  So far, that's three different
screens effectively telling me that I damn well better subscribe to RHN.

But there's more.  If I then hit the Forward button, the next screen
shows me the channels I've subscribed to and telling me that if I need
more information I'm supposed to visit https://rhn.redhat.com.  Only
then am I through with all the screens telling about RHN and why I
should join.

That's what's a bit confusing, at least to me.