Init scripts not showing stuff

Jesse Keating jkeating at j2solutions.net
Tue Nov 11 02:22:59 UTC 2003

So, at our company, part of the installation/kickstart is to prompt the
installer for the serial number of a system, and for some timezone
information.  With RHL, we've done this prompting in rc.local, which
would wait indefinitely until the installer inputted the information.
Once inputted, then the login screen, be it text or gui, would present
itself.

However, with FC1 I am not seeing this happen.  First off, RHGB would
sortof show for a quick second the prompt for information, but would
then exit immediately and show the gui login screen.  The status of the
script is very unknown.  So I thought I would script around rhgb, and
disable it for the first boot, by putting a # before the "rhgb" in
grub.conf.  Well, when ever I do this, I get the text console output up
until enabling firewire (OHCI).  From that point on, there is no more
output to the screen, but I can see the harddisk keep going.
Eventually the login screen would present itself.  This duplicates with
run level 5, and 3.  Again, I am unable to even SEE my script run, let
alone get user input into it.

What has changed so that rc.local is no longer a blocker, and can keep
the system from continuing when input is needed?  This seems _very_
broken to me, and I'd really like to find a way to fix this.  Is this a
bugable item?

--
Jesse Keating RHCE MCSE (geek.j2solutions.net)
Fedora Legacy Team      (www.fedora.us/wiki/FedoraLegacy)

Was I helpful?  Let others know: