FC1 pcmcia network card failure

Trevor Barton tmb at isotek.co.uk
Tue Nov 11 13:21:52 UTC 2003

John McBride wrote:
> My netgear FA511 10/100 pcmcia network card is failing on boot after
> installing FC1. It did not do this with RedHat Linux 9.
>
> Once booting is complete, pulling/reinserting the card (hotplug)
> restores functionality.

John,

I solved this one by disabling the graphical boot eye candy - it seems that
something about the transition from the graphical boot screen on vt8 to the
normal X screen on vt7 kills the network card - I think that the change in
address you noticed is significant.  I discovered that if you boot into runlevel
3 (text only) then start either X or gdm manually, or switch to runlevel 5
manually the card remained working, so the problem is either timing related
(because manually is slower) or directly because of the graphical boot, which
does not occur if you boot straight to runlevel 3.

Anyway, this can be disbled by setting GRAPHICAL to "no" rather than "yes" in
/etc/sysconfig/init.  It has now rebooted several times with no card failures.

Hope this helps,
Trev

--
Trevor Barton
Isotek Electronics Ltd., 9 Clayton Wood Bank, Leeds, LS16 6QZ, UK.