apt-get segmentation fault

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at welho.com
Fri Nov 14 09:41:13 UTC 2003

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003, Adrian Holovaty wrote:

> I installed Fedora Core 1 last night. Just after installation, I manually
> installed the apt RPM (apt-0.5.15cnc1-0.fdr.3.1.i386.rpm). In
> /etc/apt/sources.list, I commented out the master repository and added two
> repositories (mirrors.usc.edu and rpm.livna.org). I was able to run apt-get
> successfully for several packages -- xmms, mplayer, etc.
>
> Today, though, apt-get suddenly segfaults when I run it. Here are two
> examples:

<snip>

> [root at localhost apt]# apt-get install httpd-devel
> Segmentation fault
>
> Any idea why this is happening? I can't think of anything I've done that
> would have caused it. I'd be happy to post any conf files if requested.

Urgh.. that's fairly alarming if (at least) two people are getting
segfaults :(( If you can still reproduce that, please do the following:
start apt like this:
# gdb apt-get
..
(gdb) run update
And when it crashes run
(gdb) bt

..and either send the output of all of that to me or (preferably) file a
bug in bugzilla.fedora.us for inspection.

Anyway it's quite apparent just from the output that it crashes
more-or-less immediately when it's opening/accessing the rpmdb - you
probably should do rpm --rebuilddb but please get the backtrace first, it
shouldn't crash anyway...

	- Panu -