Fedora as production server OS

Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz at simpaticus.com
Mon Nov 17 15:19:11 UTC 2003

At 03:50 11/17/2003, you wrote:
>My main concern is security updates and stability, and of course upgrading 1-2
>times a year is possible but not desirable. I have been looking at Suse,
>Debian
>and Slackware aswell but it seems like waste to change distro when we have RHL
>competence in our company. But we do not like to get jailed into Redhat's
>commersial
>train....

Just saw this other message.

Let me get this straight: you have 10,000 users as per your other post,
your main concern is security and stability, and upgrading too often is not
desirable. Sounds like a perfect match for ANY enterprise offering,
including RHEL. Yet you "do not like to get jailed into Red Hat's
commercial train"???

Unless you are providing service to those 10K people for free, then you are
making money off your server (which is likely not a $10 computer that you
found in a cereal box). Given that assumption (please correct me if I am
wrong), then you want to make money yourself but you don't want to pay Red
Hat, which has provided you with an operating system and all your server
platforms for the last four years or so. For some reason, _you_ are allowed
to run a business but _they_ are "jailing" you. Why, those thieves!

I do hope I'm wrong, and that you are not the freeloading, cheap,
give-me-everything-for-free-so-I-can-get-rich-on-your-sweat type of person
this message sounds like. But it does sound that way, so I'll make the
recommendation I would have made anyway: pay the $350/year for RHEL-ES. It
seems to be _the_ ideal product for you.

>I guess i'm looking for some advices from people in the same situation.

I'm done giving advice to you, sir. I put many hours into trying to help
people just as others help me, but I believe we all have a moral obligation
to support our community by helping each other when we use (or if
appropriate, pay for) Linux products and services. It appears from your
message that you do not share my views; while that is your right, I find it
distasteful.

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz
rpaiz at simpaticus.com