fedora kernel FAQ

Xose Vazquez Perez xose at wanadoo.es
Tue Nov 18 00:16:07 UTC 2003

from http://www.codemonkey.org.uk/docs/fedora-faq.txt

--cut--
Fedora kernel related questions that get asked over and over...

Q. Why doesn't Fedora support Reiserfs ?
A. Boot with 'linux reiserfs'

Q. What about jfs?
A. Boot with 'linux jfs'

Q. What about xfs?
A. Not yet.

Q. What about NTFS ?
A. We don't distribute this due to potential legal issues.
   See http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/rpm/index.html

Q. Why aren't all these filesystems available by default ?
A. Because they are not as heavily tested as ext3 by Red Hat.

Q. Why doesn't Fedora just ship the stock kernel.org kernel ?
A. The patches we apply are justified for many reasons.
   - Dropping back to a 'known good' version of a driver.
   - Updating to a newer version of a driver to whats in mainline
     that fixes known bugs but for whatever reason, hasn't made it in yet.
   - Backports of fixes from 'pre/rc' release kernels.
   - Various new features developed by Red Hat.
     NPTL, Exec-Shield etc..
   - Various often requested features
     laptop-mode for eg.

Q. Can I use a stock kernel.org kernel anyway ?
A. Yes. But you obviously lose all the 'add ons'.

Q. What about 2.6 ?
A. Yes, with caveats. See the documents at..

Q. When I try to compile the Fedora kernel I get..
   kernel/kernel.o(.text+0xfc3): In function `schedule':
   : undefined reference to `active_load_balance'
A. This is a bug caused by a limitation in the 2.4
   config system. Run make oldconfig twice to work around this.
   We are working on a better solution.

Q. What kernel version does FC1 ship with ?
A. kernel-2.4.22-1.2115.nptl
   This is based on 2.4.22-ac1, and has a number of 2.4.23pre
   patches also included.
--end--

thank you Dave
--
HTML mails are going to trash automagically