java setup in openoffice.org

Paul Thomas paul at tmsl.demon.co.uk
Tue Nov 18 08:27:08 UTC 2003

On 17/11/2003 19:50 Marius Andreiana wrote:
> On Lu, 2003-11-17 at 14:07, Paul Thomas wrote:
> > On 17/11/2003 08:59 Marius Andreiana wrote:
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > How to setup jave for openoffice.org? OO.o says one should run
> jvmsetup,
> > > but that binary is missing on FC1.
> > > Tools - Options doesn't have any reference to java.
> > Tools->Options->OpenOffice.org->Security
> It only enables it if it was previously setup with jvmsetup.
> Here's the explanation from fedora-devel:
>
> First, the issue of missing Java.  We do not build OOo with Java
> enabled, because we cannot distribute a JVM with Fedora.  Therefore,
> Java support in OOo is disabled.  Debian does the same thing, with the
> same patches.  Things that use Java, for example the Report Wizard, will
> not function on the current Red Hat RPMs.
>
> What I'm looking at is a good way to perhaps _build_ with Java here, but
> allow OOo to run on non-Java-enabled systems and Java-enabled systems at
> the same time.  That's not exactly easy though.
>
> For the time being, if you'd like to use Java, I'd suggest grabbing the
> SRPM and removing the "--disable-java" from the ./configure options, and
> also commenting out all the "handle-no-solar-java" patches.

I should have checked this out more thoroughly before posting :( I wrongly
thought that that because the options were enabled, you could just check
the Java chechbox and get it working. Wrong! It doesn't save the checkbox
state. I wonder if its possible to install the OOo binary distribution
over the top of the FC binaries and get Java that way? Or maybe some kind
soul might rebuild the rpm with Java enabled?

--
Paul Thomas
Business |
| Computer Consultants         |