Top posting and "no subject" messages.

Keith G. Robertson-Turner redhat-forums at genesis-x.nildram.co.uk
Tue Nov 18 21:38:24 UTC 2003

On Tue, 2003-11-18 at 20:22, Elton Woo wrote:

> A: <enter flame, long, illogical tirade here>

Yup, it's a fact of life, top posters never die ... well actually they
die of old age first, then grow younger for 80 years, until they regress
into a Stanley Kubrick rebirth paradox.

However, flaming them is pointless, since 50% of all top posters are
clueless newbies (flaming a newbie is like punching a baby) and 50% used
to be clueless newbies who were flamed for top posting and, in an act of
defiance, stood their ground so as not to lose face, even though they
secretly knew they were wrong. The result is a swarming army of "Top
Poster Club" members who are more likely to continue doing it, simply
because you tell them not to.

Then again, who the hell do we think we are, telling *anyone* what to do
... right?

That's right; Top Poster Club members have a lifetime Gold Pass to post
their messages upside down, incorrectly spelt, poorly punctuated and
completely off-topic ... er ... just like this thread.

Let me remind you of a wonderful device for hastening the termination of
a "bad" thread; "Godwin's Law" (normally used in the context of Usenet,
but a mailing list is similar). Best of all, to invoke it, one has only
to quote it:

"As a Usenet discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison
involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one."

The end.

--
[H]omer