apt-get, rpm y yum

Samuel Flory sflory at rackable.com
Thu Nov 20 00:50:18 UTC 2003

Francisco Roldan wrote:
> Thanks everybody for your answers on
> my Debian-Gentoo-Fedora email,
> I think I am almost decided to upgrade to Fedora.
>
> I have other question,
> I have worked with rpm since the
> old days of Red hat 6, now i
> am a little confuse with Fedora,
> I haven't installed yet, but i
> have read that there is a command
> 'apt-get' ,  what is it ?
> and what about yum ?
>
> Can i keep usign rpm on Fedora Core 1 ?

   Fedora Core 1 doesn't include apt, but you can install from
fedora.us.  Yum is a lot like apt, but better in some ways, and worse in
others.  Yum is part of fedora core.

   As far as rpms go you are still using rpms.  You can install rpms
normally with rpm -Uvh.  Keep in mind that it may confuse apt, and yum
to install rpms from else where.

--
There is no such thing as obsolete hardware.
Merely hardware that other people don't want.