Modems? Anyone?

fred smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Fri Nov 21 01:50:59 UTC 2003

On Thu, Nov 20, 2003 at 06:58:56PM -0600, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 19, 2003 at 11:52:01AM -0700, Preston Crawford wrote:
> > Just wondering if all modems are having problems or just certain ones (like my old
> > internal ISA modem). Comcast still isn't up. Those idiots are so incompetent that
> > I like will not be able to get my cable modem running for quite a while. So I'd
> > like to buy an external modem today while I wait for DSL. Does anyone know if all
> > modems are having a problem or just certain ones? An external serial modem should
> > work fine, right?
> > Preston
> My external modem works but was not recognised by kudzu. Luckily I
> refused to remove the configuration.

Well, in the case of an external serial modem, it ain't no huge deal if
kudzu removes the configuration. AFAIK the only thing it configures for
you (besides its own database) is that it creates /dev/modem. Otherwise
it's just a serial port with something attached to it, and your programs
aren't going to care if kudzu knows about it or not.

  Prince of Peace. Of the increase of his government there will be no end. He
 will reign on David's throne and over his kingdom, establishing and upholding