Modems? Anyone?

A.J. Bonnema abonnema at xs4all.nl
Fri Nov 21 05:22:20 UTC 2003

fred smith wrote:

>>My external modem works but was not recognised by kudzu. Luckily I
>>refused to remove the configuration.
>

> Well, in the case of an external serial modem, it ain't no huge deal if
> kudzu removes the configuration. AFAIK the only thing it configures for
> you (besides its own database) is that it creates /dev/modem. Otherwise
> it's just a serial port with something attached to it, and your programs
> aren't going to care if kudzu knows about it or not.

Ok, I don't understand kudzu then. I thought being recognized by kudzu
is a precondition to being used later on.

I checked /dev/modem though: it is a symbolic link to /dev/ttyS0, so
hopefully that's ok.

Anyway, I'm going to start using the modem see what happens.

Guus.
--
A.J. Bonnema, Leiden The Netherlands,
user #328198 with the Linux Counter