Graphics Problem (: more info this time :)

Keith G. Robertson-Turner redhat-forums at genesis-x.nildram.co.uk
Fri Nov 21 05:36:16 UTC 2003

On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 23:50:20 -0500, Kevin M. Clark wrote:

> The problem I am having is this:
> When I try the graphical installation, and after hitting the enter key,
> I see the start of the installation and then the screen goes blank.

The driver module for your graphics chipset (if there is one) is obviously
not working. A quick google turned up this link:

http://www.winischhofer.net/linuxsisvga.shtml

Though I don't know how up to date or relevant it is.

For the moment, while you try to find a solution, turn off graphical
booting and login, like this:

1) ... Stick yarrow disc1 in the drive and reboot.
2) ... Type "linux rescue" without the quotes at the boot prompt.
3) ... Follow the prompts, don't activate networking, but allow it to
mount your linux partition.
4) ... type "chroot /mnt/sysimage" (I'm working from memory here ...
someone correct me if I'm wrong), then type "vi /etc/grub.conf". To edit
in vi you start by hitting the "insert" key, stop editing by hitting the
"ESC" key, save the file by typing ":w<enter>" and quit by typing
":q<enter>"
5) ... Remove "rhgb" from the line that starts "kernel /boot...."
6) ... Use vi again, to edit /etc/inittab and look for the line which
reads "id:5:initdefault:". Change the "5" to a "3".
7) ... Reboot. You should now be able to boot (albeit without X).

If you need a browser to research your problem (whilst not running in X)
just type "lynx www.google.com" and you'll get the lynx client.

Now it's time to start playing with maybe recompiling the kernel, playing
with modprobe or downloading drivers off the Net. At the very least, I
would think you'd manage to get X up with a generic VGA driver.

-
[H]omer