Suspend

wayne wayne at zkcelltest.com
Fri Nov 21 16:22:33 UTC 2003

On Fri, 2003-11-21 at 04:29, Simon Bell wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-11-20 at 18:49, Simon Bell wrote:
> >> I just right clicked on the gnome panel at the bottom of the screen,
> >> selected add to panel and it was in there somewhere.
>
> >Thanks!  I was searching the "Red Hat" (or should that be the "Red
> >Fedora"?) menu and not finding it.  That is a cool little tool :-).
>
> It is, but have you been able to get the "suspend computer" button on it to
> work?
>
> Simon

With APM the power management stuff is built into the system BIOS so
other than create a suitable partition to save the system state.

If I understand ACPI correctly, the BIOS only contains information that
the operating system can use to suspend the computer. This means that
the functionality must be implemented in the OS (Linux in this case.)
The vanilla 2.4 kernel does not support ACPI. There are patches,
included in the Fedora Kernel. ACPI is part of the 2.6 kernel.

I believe that swsusp is required to do suspend to disk with the 2.4
kernel (http://sourceforge.net/projects/swsusp/) This appears to be a
kernel patch so maybe it's already been added to the Fedora Kernel ? If
you go to the source forge site there is also a script for suspending.
That would probably be a good place to start.