Going from 9 to Fedora, what are the steps?

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Sat Nov 22 02:55:55 UTC 2003

On Fri, 21 Nov 2003, Brian Krisler wrote:

> Before I start down this path, is it as simple as switching my
> config file from:
>
> rpm     http://ayo.freshrpms.net redhat/9/i386 os updates
> rpm-src http://ayo.freshrpms.net redhat/9/i386 os updates

> rpm http://ayo.freshrpms.net fedora/linux/1/i386 core updates freshrpms
> rpm http://ayo.freshrpms.net fedora/linux/1/i386 extras alternatives

Actually it worked for me. I uncommented the fedora core 1 repos of
FreshRPMS, NewRPMS and Dag as well as Fedora Core. Then did:

	apt-get update
	apt-get dist-upgrade

Apt told me that there were some conflicts: like the new perl package
now includes perl-CGI, perl-CPAN and perl-DB_File, and gucharmap and
stickynotes_applet are now part of resp. gnome-utils and gnome-applets.
Sadly Red Hat didn't obsolete these packages ;/

I also had to remove some ximian packages that were leftovers from my
RH80+Ximian era. I removed all the conflicting packages with:

	rpm -e --nodeps ....

so that depending packages were still installed. The second run I did:

	apt-get dist-upgrade -f

and it worked flawlessly. I then rebooted the system into Fedora Core.

The whole process took about 2hours, including downloading about 880MB
(which took 41mins) and involved 782 packages.

PS A few packages were removed as they had no Fedora version yet.
PS2 You still have to upgrade the kernel (and kernel-modules) manually.
PS3 FreshRPMS apt removed all my sources. Which we really should solve !!